About the Elkhorn Valley Museum
Tuesday – Saturday, 10am – 5pm.
We’re closed New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving Day,
Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
And we have special hours on July 4th.
$5 Senior (60+)
$3 Children ages 3-18
Children age 2 and under are FREE
For groups of 10 or more, regardless of age, please inquire about our group rates ahead of your visit.
515 Queen City Blvd.
Norfolk, NE 68701
- From Norfolk Ave, turn north on 7th St. and drive 5 blocks. Museum is on the west side of the street.
- From 13th St., turn east at Elm St.
- From Omaha Ave., turn north on 7th St.
- From Benjamin, turn south on Queen City Blvd.
Traveling to the area? Visit the Norfolk Area Visitor’s Bureau for more information about local eateries, hotels, and attractions.
Elkhorn Valley Museum
515 Queen City Blvd.
Norfolk, NE 68701
The Community Room
The Community Room is a great place for your next meeting, party, or gathering! It is equipped with a projector and screen, separate entrance, tables and chairs, refrigerator, stove, and sink. No alcohol is allowed.
The Community Room can hold up to 154 people standing and with chairs or 65 people with tables and chairs. Comfortable for large or intimate gatherings.
Rental Rate: $25/hour. Events must be held between the hours of 6:00am and 10:00pm. A deposit of half is required to reserve. Reserved hours must include set-up and pack-up time. Friend-Level EVM members and higher receive 30% off.
Please call 402-371-3886 to schedule your rental!
Discovery Zone Birthday Parties
Looking for a unique and fun location for your child’s birthday party? With this rental, you have the Community Room as well as access to the Children’s Discovery Zone. Note: Adult supervision is required whenever children are in the Children’s Discovery Zone.
$135, 15 child limit
Historic Verges Park
Verges Park is a beautiful place for a family gathering or wedding. This rental is for the park only, renters must provide their own chairs, tables, and restroom facilities.
$350 for 1 day
Community Room Rain Location: $90/day
Day-before rehearsal (includes park and Community Room): $90
Ready to book your rental at the Elkhorn Valley Museum? Call us or send us an e-mail to see if the date you’re interested in is available. Museum Admission is not included in rental rates, but your guests are welcome to enjoy the Elkhorn Valley Museum for the group rate of $4/person!
The Lueshen Bird Library
Having a small meeting and want a room with a great view? The Lueshen Bird Library has its own external door and can seat up to 25 people. No food is allowed for this rental.
Meetings in the Lueshen Bird Library are a free benefit of business memberships.
History of EVM
The Elkhorn Valley Historical Society was founded in 1958. The members of the society believe in the value of preserving the past, the memory and legacy of the lives of the people of the Elkhorn Valley for future generations. Thanks to the generosity of area citizens, businesses, organizations and grants, the Society was able to complete the construction of a beautiful museum building in 1997.
Our Museum Gift Shop contains works of local craftsman and artisans, history books, Johnny Carson DVDs, and books, University of Nebraska Cornhusker items, books by Nebraska authors, State of Nebraska items, and much more!
Mission, Board of Directors
To Preserve, Interpret, and Present the History of the Elkhorn River Valley.
Board of Directors
President Austen Hagood
Vice President Lynn Laible
Secretary John Schmitt
Treasurer Michaela Virchow
Tiffany Gatzemeyer, Latrice Krieger, Andrew McCarthy
Education Internship: Summer 2020
EVM seeks a summer museum education intern for 12-14 weeks during June-August 2020. This education internship is a cross-disciplinary internship involving history, art, science, and museum studies. The intern will work with exhibits, youth programs, and visitor experience. The intern will participate in daily museum operations including opening and closing the museum. About 40% of the internship will be museum operations and staffing. The remaining 60% will be spent on our youth programs, including our summer camps (collaborating with Nebraska Game and Parks).
- Assist with the development of Summer Camp activities, projects, crafts, etc.
- Assist with leading the Summer Camps (three week-long sessions)
- Lead tours or answer questions in the museum and Verges Park
- Maintain the Verges Park bird feeders and bath
- Staff front desk as needed
- Assist with museum events (Independence Day Picnic, Annual Members’ Dinner, Opening Receptions, etc.)
- Assist with preparations and installation of museum exhibitions
- Contribute to EVM social media
- Attend Annual Members’ meeting in June
Internship Length and Dates:
- 12-14 weeks, averaging 35 hours/week (Monday through Friday; some Saturday events)
- Flexible start and end date
- July 4th will be a work day (Old-Time Independence Day Picnic)
- Currently enrolled in, or recently graduated from, an undergraduate program in education, environmental studies, biology, history, anthropology, or a related field
- Coursework in the humanities
- Experience working with children
- Experience working with the public
- Excellent computer skills
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and social media
- Ability to work independently
- Strong sense of curiosity
- $10 per hour
Please send Cover Letter, Resume, and (3) References to email@example.com. Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.